As seen on TV.….
We all love turkey and stuffing on Thanksgiving–but after the meal on the big day the leftovers can be a bit monotonous. For the next few posts, we’ll be sharing some of Chef Bill’s creative recipes that use leftovers–but the dishes are so unique and delicious, no one will give you “This, AGAIN?!” when you present it. We promise.
Turkey and Dumplings
For Stuffing Dumplings:
3 cups traditional stuffing
1/2 cup milk
4 egg whites
2 TBSP butter, melted
2 TBSP parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and white pepper to taste
1. Place stuffing in mixing bowl; set aside
2. Combine remaining ingredients in separate bowl and whip til thoroughly blended.
3. Combine stuffing and mixture, blending well with your hands, making sure to break up pieces of bread.
4. Let stand 15 minutes, and form into 1 oz balls to be cooked in turkey stew.
For Turkey Stew:
3 cups chopped cooked turkey meat
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups corn kernels
1 TBSP poultry seasoning
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 qts turkey stock (recipe follows–or use good quality store bought chicken stock)
1 TBSP butter
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in 5 qt stock pot and add onion, celery, potatoes, carrots, and corn. Cook, stirring frequently, 10-12 minutes til tender.
2. Add spices and stir, then add stock and meat. Simmer 15 minutes.
3. Add stuffing dumplings to the simmering stew, cook another 15 minutes on low simmer.
1 leftover roasted turkey carcass
1 onion, quartered
2 stalks celery, cut into 8 pieces
1 lb carrots, cut in 1/2 inch rounds
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs parsley with stems
4 sprigs thyme with stems
1. Pull turkey apart into smaller pieces so it fits into large stockpot, then add cold water to cover, approx 5 qts.
2. Add remaining ingredients, bring to rolling boil, and reduce to simmer.
3. Simmer, uncovered, 2 hours, until liquid is reduced by 1/2.
4. Strain, discard solids, and reserve stock for stew or other use.